Saturday 25 April 2015

My UPSC CAPF - 2014 Interview Experience - Got recommended with All India Rank 4.

UPSC calls its interview as Personality Test, but don't get too happy, they still do ask factual questions. But what I feel is that they must be carrying lower marks than the opinion based and situation based questions.

I had prepared well for my D day at UPSC and it was on 9th February in morning session at UPSC Bhawan, Dholpur House, New Delhi. At first everyone is made to sit in the big hall with circular dome shaped roof. Here all the documents and forms are checked and then you are told to wait for your interview turn.

I was in for a big surprise on that day, just after the documents were verified, it was around 10:45 a.m. , a portly looking man came and called out my name. He instructed me to follow him, I was very nervous at that point of time and so much was going on inside my head, so without paying much thought I started to follow him. Mid way in our walk, a CISF personnel frisked me. I was wondering why this redundant task was being done, we were already frisked at entry gate.

And then just after that, the person told me to sit outside a room. When I looked on the name plate it said " Chattar Singh ". It was like a covert operation to lead a man into ambush, nobody told me that I am going first for the interview. First day of interview and first show too.

Heartbeat suddenly shot up in anticipation of coming half an hour. To calm myself I tried to distract my mind and started observing people around and it was of great help. Everyone was very casual and chatty on good February morning, observing them certainly relaxed my tensed mind. And then a peon came out and told me to go inside.

Inside their were four people, CS - Chattar Singh ( Chairman of Board ) , M1 - lady , M2 and M3 - both men seemingly from armed forces. They were all seated around a square table. Now the interview questions : ( answers vary from person to person and personal experiences so I am not mentioning them )

CS: Is this you ?? ( after showing me photo of mine )
CS: How do I pronounce your surname ?
CS: You have earlier been employed , please tell about your experience there ?
CS: Why do you want to leave that organisation and come here ?

M1: Why haven't you joined army ? Did you ever apply for it ?
M1: Is there any one in your family who has served in uniformed service ?
M1: Tell me about your home district ?
M1: What are the famous establishments there ?

CS: You have mentioned football, according to you what is impact of ISL on indian football ?
CS: What are the steps needed for betterment of sports culture in India ?
CS: Watching movies is your hobby too, what sort of movies do you watch ?
CS: Why don't you watch Bollywood movies ?
CS: Which genre of movies attracts you the most ?

M2: You seem to have interest in war and history, am I right ?
M2: Please recall the events leading to second world war ?
M2: How is World War 1 related to second world war ?
M2: Any particular military strategy that was used in World War 2 ?
M2: What was the turning point of Second World War ?
M2: Tell me about the outcome of First World War ?

CS: What is your force preference ?
CS: Why have you chosen CISF as first preference ? Why not others / whats wrong with them ?

M3: Are you still in touch with computer science ?
M3: Of what help can be your degree in CAPF ?
M3: Tell me about Data Mining ?
M3: What is Cloud Computing , explain in simple terms ?
M3: Difference between political setup in India and US ?
M3: What is the difference between powers of Indian and US president ?

CS: Why is CISF still required , why can't we replace them with private security ?
CS: Ok, you may go now .

I was expecting at least 100 out of 150. The interview went quite well and the duration was about 25 - 30 minutes. I missed a few points here and there which I should have spoken, but that happens to everyone due to very less time that you have to gather points and prepare your answer. I couldn't defend choosing CISF over others well , maybe nobody can. I ended up arguing a little bit with the chairman over the CISF question after he brought it up again, shouldn't have done that.

Anyways the end result is that I figured in the final merit list with 90 /150 marks in Personality Test.
All's well that ends well. Hope the interview transcript helps you all . 

No comments:

Post a Comment